Van Nuys

Van Nuys was founded in 1911 and named for Isaac Newton Van Nuys, one of its developers. In the town’s early days, farmers, who were drawn to the area’s flat lands, helped boost local land sales that led to the quick development of the area. It was annexed by Los Angeles in 1915, after completion of the Los Angeles Aqueduct, providing it with the water required for further growth. Van Nuys was the first new stop on the San Fernando Line of the Pacific Electric Railway red cars system, which boosted its early land sales and commercial success. 

Neighborhood Organizations and Resources

Van Nuys Neighborhood Council
Board Meetings: 2nd Wed. at 7 p.m.
info@vnnc.org
Visit Website

Van Nuys Branch Library
6250 Sylmar Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(818) 756-8453
Visit Website

Public Safety

Van Nuys Community Police Station
6240 Sylmar Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(818) 374-9500
Visit Website

Fire Station 39
14415 Sylvan St.
Los Angeles, CA 91401
(818) 756-8639

Recreation and Parks

Van Nuys Recreation Center
14301 Vanowen St.
Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818) 756-8131
Visit Website

Delano Park
15100 Erwin St.
Van Nuys, CA 91411
(818) 756-8529
Visit Website